Thursday, May 5, 2011

Anniversary/Rain/PMS

      Today is my Mom and Dad's Anniversary.  And it's raining.  And I'm PMS-ing.  For those of you who don't know me personally, my dad passed away about 2 years ago.  He was 57.  I still want to cry my eyes out everytime I think about him.  He'll not ever get to meet (on this side of Heaven) his newest grandson who was named after him.  He'll not get to be able to see the grandkids graduate high school, or get married.  He won't be able to be a great-grandpa.  And he'll never again be able to send my mom a dozen red roses on thier anniversary again.  That makes me sad.

    This song came out not long after I lost my dad.  I'm warning you-it doesn't sugar coat the pain of losing a loved one.  But it's still made me feel ok about all the emotions I was feeling at the time.  It is honestly my favorite song of all time.  If you don't know Danny Gokey, he was a contestant on American Idol a few years back.  He lost his wife 4 weeks before trying out for American Idol.  She was only in her 20's.  He sings this with a knowing heartbreak that is imcredibly raw and so touching.



       My only hope is that I can try my best on a daily basis to tell my family how much they are loved and not to get bent out of shape about the little things in life.  (Some days are easier than others!) So please take a minute today and tell your family how much you love them.  Forgive a friend that might have wronged you in some way.  Play with your kids instead of cleaning your house.  Help a stranger out.  Make your life have meaning. 

2 comments:

  1. My dad passed 2 years ago this month and it has not gotten any easier, so I know exactly how you feel. He was 56 and taken from me much too soon. Hang in there. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess,
    Thanks for your post. It's what I needed to hear after the week I've had. Just wanted to let you know that I will be thinking of you and that I appreciate all the encouragement you give me! Love ya! Amy

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment!